Many small and medium-sized business owners believe that hackers won’t target their business because they have nothing of value to an attacker. Think again. Cyber-criminals know that smaller companies are easy targets because they generally don’t take adequate measures to secure their network and computers. Phishing attacks are becoming more sophisticated and ransomware continues to experience record growth. At the same time, new compliance mandates (like POPI) are adding to the cost of ransomware attacks, regardless of whether data is recoverable or the victim pays the ransom. The cost of recovering from a data breach or malware infection is significant, not to mention the damage to your companies reputation.
What steps can you take to protect your organisation?
- Make sure all your computers have reputable anti-virus software installed and that it is up to date at all times.
- Run Windows Update at least once a month to ensure that your computers receive the latest security updates from Microsoft. Better still, turn on “Automatic” updates.
- Use complex passwords (strong passwords). Attackers use computer programs that attempt to guess passwords. Email accounts, computers, and wireless networks are prime targets.
- Don’t use the same password for everything! You should have a different password for your computer, online banking and other websites.
- A firewall is essential to prevent unauthorised access to your business network from the Internet.
- Limit which users have “administrator rights” and are able to install software on their computers.
- User education is probably the most important. Many websites try to trick users into installing malicious software that looks like a legitimate program. Phishing emails are also used to target uneducated users and get them to disclose passwords.
In small to medium-sized businesses, many leaders find themselves fulfilling multiple roles, and don’t have the budget for dedicated IT staff. Unfortunately, this means that some of the most important aspects of keeping your business’s IT systems secured can be overlooked. We can help! Our IT management services will ensure that all your computer systems are running efficiently and reliably at all times. Let us take care of your IT infrastructure so you can take care of business.